Saturday, July 19, 2008

Filling The Hump Of Hate

My Anxiety is called Trevor. I call it Trevor because he deserves a name. Trevor is one of those friends that means well, but for the most of it, he is full of shit. He says the wrong thing at the wrong time, and he wants to bring everyone down to his level.
Trevors job is to tell me when I am about to get hit by a truck, car, fist, or partner. He is the "first warning point man", fight or flight. He tells the heart to start pumping, the eyeballs to dilate, and the teeth to grind and the butterflies in the stomach to flutter in anticipation. As I don't get hit very often I am assuming that Trev is bored and want to alert me on everything. This is a problem as I do not like to feel this way when I go to the shop to buy milk, or talk to someone that I haven't met before or any number of social interactions.
I have finally told Trev to shut the fuck up. I probably have to say this to him a few times a week, but when I first was alert to him, it was daily.
I was diagnosed with anxiety at the beginning of this year by a friend whom I owe a huge thanks to, just to realize that this is a condition and his name is Trevor, is a huge burden lifted.
After I got a grasp of this condition and started treating it, I got to talking to a number of people that I know, and there are a huge percentage of people that suffer from this, and don't even realize. I find myself telling people that they don't have to live like this, and if they want to stop talk to a GP.
This week I had one of those days, but instead of listening to Trevor, I went over the facts of the situation with reason and logic. I feel much better for it. I didn't go crazy with the stress of the situation and what it could mean. I just wrote it down, wrote this blog and got on my merry way.
Oh and I played the punk rock on the guitar, because I can, even if Trevor thinks I suck.

4 comments:

name said...

this was good!

Anonymous said...

Panic attacks have a variety of causes, some physical, some mental and some emotional. Some individuals may have a genetic predisposition to panic attacks, while gender also plays a role, as women are more prone to panic attacks than men. http://www.xanax-effects.com/

Anonymous said...

I don't get the purpose of personifying mental problems. I know Alzheimer and Parkinson patients do it, but those are debilitating neurological diseases that invade and irreversably change the life of those suffering from them. Disorders like anxiety and/or depression are mental rather than neurological, and often for a large part reversible.

Djayjcjay said...

Sure we probably should be more like your name anonymous. Out of sight and out of mind.
It was horrible for me to find that I was not alone, and it made my condition worse....all those other people with the same symptoms and symptoms as I. (Anonymous I am being sarcastic).
The purpose 'Anonymous' is to let people know that they are not crazy, that there is help when you may think there is none. Should we not talk about the flu?
Here is the hot tip ...ahem...'anonymous', depression and anxiety can invade and irreversibly change the lives of people suffering them...and unless they get help, which is sometimes very hard for that person to do if they have no idea what they are dealing with.
Put a name to your post next time. Mabe even just put 'The church of Scientology'.